Skin-care is an old tradition that dates back to 1760 BC. To say the least, we are all very familiar with skin care and its benefits. Considering we have unlimited resources that are full of facts, you need to know the myths that lie beyond them. Here are a few.
MYTH: AS LONG AS I APPLY SUNSCREEN BEFORE LEAVING THE HOUSE, I AM SAFE.
Fact: The number on an SPF bottle isn’t the strength of your sunscreen. It is actually the amount of minutes your sunscreen will last (Ex: 50 SPF = 50 minutes of wear time). So, the next time you layer up, be sure to reapply when necessary!
MYTH: ANTI-BACTERIAL SOAP/CLEANSER IS GOOD FOR YOUR SKIN.
Fact: Anti-bacterial soap was created not to harm the consumer, but to help further disinfect (Ex: cleaning piercings or tattoos). After years of its existence, the FDA, doctors, and users are beginning to see the negative side effects. Not only is it bad for the environment, it is also creating an Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria. On the other hand, it can cause hormonal disruption in the body. In turn, follows a multitude of skin concerns.
MYTH: PEOPLE GET ACNE FROM NOT CLEANSING THEIR FACE.
Fact: Although, following a correct skin-care regimen is important. It isn’t the only thing that can cause you to break out.
- Dairy Products: The proteins in milk helps to stimulate the growth in calves. As well as in us when we consume it. Once the body has digested these proteins, they turn into hormones. Scientific research has shown that these hormones cause inflammatory breakouts.
- Refined Sugars: Sugar causes your insulin and blood sugar levels to rise. This causes inflammation throughout the body, AKA – Acne.
- Hormones: If you are in your teens, you may notice your acne flaring up. This can be from a rise in Testosterone and increase your sebum (oil) production. The immune system reacts to the bacteria in your sebum, and causes “pimples.” If you aren’t in your teens, but notice cystic acne appearing on or around your jaw line, this could be a sign of a hormone imbalance. Head over to your doctor and see about running some tests!
Chinese Face Map
MYTH: THE MORE YOU EXFOLIATE, THE BETTER
Fact: Over exfoliating can be different for everyone. Those with sensitive skin should aim to only exfoliate once a week. As those with oily skin could exfoliate up to 2-3 times a week. Over exfoliating can lead to an excess amount of sebum (you guessed it, more acne) and strip the skin of natural oils. Your skin sheds its dead skin cells on its own. Exfoliating too often can actually slow your cell turnover rate.
MYTH: YOU SHOULD ONLY CLEANSE YOUR SKIN WITH HOT WATER.
Fact: Just like over exfoliating, using too hot of water can strip the skin of its natural oils. Skin that is overly dry, will work to produce more sebum. As it thinks it isn’t getting enough moisture. Which again, can lead to an overproduction of oils and acne. It is best to stick with warm water.
MYTH: MAKEUP CASUES ACNE.
Fact: Makeup itself does not cause acne. However, it can cause breakouts when using the wrong products for your skin. You want to be sure to pick a foundation that is tailored to your specific skin type.
- Oily Skin: Look for something that is non-comedogenic. These products have been formulated with ingredients that don’t typically clog pores and tend to be oil free.
- Dry Skin: Since having dry skin typically means you are less prone to breakouts. Look for hydrating foundations. This will help to keep your skin stay moisturized all day.
- Sensitive Skin: Be sure to patch test your makeup before applying to your entire face. Sticking to hypoallergenic products can help to reduce any inflammation in the skin.